#100happydays Day 51 The Rebecca Run for Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
Today was a beautiful day, not only was the weather perfect but it was the 13th running of the Rebecca Run for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Once again Glenis and I were there volunteering. This year we were at the finish line to cheer all the runners, walkers and rollers across.
In the last 13 years we have watched these little ones grow up in to typical teenagers but the sad part is there are still youngsters coming out in wheelchairs. A cure hasn’t been found yet, but they very close!
Everyone involved is inspired by the little ones they are running for. The volunteers, the organizers, the runners all did a great job today. The total funds raise today was just over $100,000 bring the total amount raised so far in the last 13 years to 2.6 million.
Here are a few startling facts about SMA from the Rebecca Run website:
Did you know…
- SMA is the #1 genetic KILLER of children under the age 2.
- SMA destroys the nerves that control voluntary movement like crawling, walking, head and neck control and even swallowing.
- 1 in 6000 babies is born with SMA.
- 50% of the children diagnosed before the age 2, will DIE before their 2nd birthday.
- 1 in 40 people carry the gene – IT COULD BE YOU!
Each year Glenis and I plan our race schedule around the Rebecca Run. It’s something we can’t miss.
If you are in the area and want to help out or run in 2015, check out the Rebecca Run website. I know they would be so happy to have you come out next year.
(Click on the thumbnail to view larger images.)